Whether you are a professional, amateur or hobbyist photographer, one thing is for certain you’ll want to take care of your digital files and back them up. We wanted to write a blog post about 5 items you need to do to back up your images. However, there are so many different routes and not every tip will be applicable for everyone. So instead, we asked five of our members on how they archive their photos and why it works for them. All of them agree, Don’t Delay, back it up Today!
1. Roger Vaughn of Roger Vaughn Photography (online backup)
As a freelance sports photographer shooting local high school and DIII college teams, I shoot a lot of images every week. I save my original full resolution images from the current sports season to an on site image server that I built myself containing a total of 16TB of hard drive space. I also keep the best images from the previous years sports season on my image server as well.
All of my images back up automatically to Google Drive and Google+ Photos. All Google accounts come with 15GB of free storage and you can increase the size of your Google Drive storage in incremental amounts at affordable monthly costs. One TB of storage space is only $9.99 a month. The nice thing about Google Drive is that any image smaller than 2048 pixels on the longest side does not count toward your Google Drive storage allotment, so in theory the amount of images you can backup is limitless if the image size is kept under 2048 pixels. Google+ Photos backup app lets you set that option in the settings.
Google Drive is handy for me. Since I travel a lot I never have to worry about access to my image archive when a sports editor needs an image. My archive is available wherever I have an internet connection by just accessing my Google account.
2. Ernesto of EJ Photo (external hard drive)
Last year, out of the blue, my 2year old external drive, decided to stop working, it didn’t want to power up, nothing was moving in/out of it. After much rendering of hair and gnashing of teeth, I embarked on a new back up process; I now have 2 WD Passports, and after a major shoot/edit/film scan I back up my photo files to one and take that drive to my office and swap it for the one there. This way if something happens to my picture drive I have a back up in the office and if something happens to the one in the office, I have one at home (not as up to date but still). I also don’t delete my memory cards right away in case some of the files are corrupted in the transfer or something does happen to one of the backups. Yes, it is very redundant and a bit of a pain but I am not getting burnt again (that easily anyways). (Ernesto archives jpegs only)
3. Saul Blumenthal of Saul Blumenthal
The goal of my backup scheme is to have my personal photo collection stored on several hard drives, in multiple locations. It is not important that I be able to access any particular photo from anywhere.
I have a 1.5TB external drive always connected to my Mac, that serves as my “master” archive; I then have two internal 1.5TB drives and a USB enclosure. At any given moment, one of these drives is inside the enclosure and mounted on my computer and the other is in a safe deposit box at the bank. Whenever I update the master drive, I use the utility SuperDuper! to mirror the drive inside the enclosure. Every two weeks (usually a Saturday morning) — occasionally longer if life gets in the way or if I haven’t been shooting much — I go to the bank with the internal drive from the enclosure and swap it with the drive in the safe deposit box. When I get home I mount the drive in the enclosure and I sync it up with the master drive.
If either of the internal drives fails — as happened once — I can get a new drive and restore it from the master drive. If the master drive fails, I can get a new one and restore it from the internal drive. If both drives in my home fail or are destroyed, I have lost at most my photos from the past two weeks.
After 10 years and 50,000 photos, I have only half-filled the drives. When I do get close to filling the drives, I can add extra drives to the mix or start using larger drives.
Of course my ultimate backups are the many photo books I have designed and had printed over the years.
4. Eric Arnold of Eric Arnold Photography
5. Ross Sieber of NRS Media Services
I’m among the part time professional crowd, and my formal education and training is in the IT field. Since I am from the IT field, I tend to over-build and take precautions based on some of the worst cases I’ve read about and of course we all learn from our mistakes. I’ve been building my own systems for a long time and in fact have only moved away from a self-hosted platform to Photoshelter, Zenfolio and Flickr within the last 2-3 years. I have been through every variation of single drives, RAID, including various brands of drives and controllers. I’ve found that things are usually stable when left alone, which of course doesn’t account for mistakes or hardware failures, and consolidation among manufacturers hasn’t always led to better products. While I was managing my own sites and servers, I was trading off external drives for remote backups, but since everything from file sizes to memory cards and hard drives has grown this wasn’t going to cut it, not to mention the time and money to ship drives or actually drive out to the data center to make the swap. I started using the Synology NAS for backups a few years ago, and BackBlaze for offsite backups. RAID card problems on the most recent upgrade attempt led me to purchase the expansion chassis for the Synology NAS sp essentially I have 2 identical volumes, but primary storage and backups are in different physical devices , and I’m still utilizing BackBlaze for my offsite backups. I also run BackBlaze on my laptop so I can at least get part of a project backed up (we won’t get into the quality of hotel Wi-Fi, even in NYC) and if I’m working an event over multiple days, especially where I know I’ll be formatting and overwriting cards each day, I’ll make sure I am backing up to one or more external drive just in case something would happen to the laptop, the I fill the laptop drive or something else goes wrong. It sounds complicated and slightly paranoid, but accidents happen, equipment fails and you can’t afford to waste time when everyone wants instant results. ( Ross keeps everything edited and unedited, whatever the format.)
What other tips do you have to archive your photos?
Adoramapix Rules and Regulations for 2015 Contests
1. Sponsor: Adoramapix (the “Sponsor”).
2. The entry procedures for each contest are announced on Facebook and here on our blog.
3. Adoramapix will not verify receipt of entries. Incomplete entries are void. Adoramapix is not responsible for entries that are lost, late, misdirected, incomplete, incomprehensible, illegible, undeliverable or delayed. Facebook entries will be deemed to have been submitted by the authorized account holder of the Facebook account at the time of the entry.
4. Our contests are generally open to anyone who is at least 18 years of age and who does not reside in an area where such contests are void by law.
4a. In cases where the contest or giveaway is promoted on Facebook, the following applies to each entrant:
A complete release of Facebook by each entrant or participant.
Acknowledgement that the promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook.
5. Employees (or their immediate families) of Adoramapix, or any subsidiary are not eligible to win our contests or giveaways.
6. Unless otherwise noted, the termination date for eligibility is the final day at Midnight EST.
7. All prize information including prize value is listed with each contest announcement. In each contest or giveaway, we reserve the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value in the event that the original promised prize becomes unavailable. Some prizes may be awarded via gift certificate.
8. Adoramapix Facebook, Inc., any participating sponsors, and any of their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, professional advisors, employees and agencies (collectively, the “Released Parties”) will not be responsible for (1) cancellations, postponements, or delays; (2) Acts of God, war, terrorism, government regulation, disaster, fire, strikes, civil disorder, or other similar causes beyond the control of Adoramapix, their affiliated, parent, and subsidiary companies, advertising and promotional agencies and their immediate assigns, making it inadvisable, illegal, impossible, or impractical to continue the Contest or to perform under these Rules. Adoramapix makes no warranty, guarantee, or representation of any kind concerning any prize. Adoramapix reserves the right to modify, suspend, terminate or cancel the Contest, as appropriate, due to any other reason beyond the control of Adoramapix.
9. The prizes have no cash value. It may not be exchanged for cash. Winners have 30 days to claim prize once notified, if winners do not claim prize within 30 days the prize becomes null and void.
10. Content Restrictions: You may not submit or post anything that is offensive or violates any third party’s rights. For example, your Contest Entry must not contain or reference any of the following:
• Nudity or lewd, vulgar, indecent or obscene images (as determined by Sponsor’s sole discretion);
• Material that violates or infringes another’s rights, including but not limited to privacy, publicity or intellectual property rights; ( we have obtained permission of all artists pinned on our board, you may repin any on our boards or uplaod your own)
• Material that is copyrighted, trademarked, protected by trade secrets or otherwise subject to a third party’s proprietary rights, including privacy and publicity rights, unless you are the owner of such rights or have permission from their rightful owner to post the material;
• Depiction of defamatory statements (including but not limited to words or symbols that are widely considered offensive to individuals of a certain race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or socioeconomic group);
• Third-party trademarks, names or logos; or
• Material that is unlawful, in violation of or contrary to the laws or regulations in any country, state or province where the Contest Entry is created.
Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, disqualify any Contest Entry that does not comply with these Content Restrictions or that Sponsor otherwise deems to be inappropriate in its sole discretion. In the event of disqualification, the Contest Entry will not be judged or considered for a prize.
11. The winner does not have to be present at the time of announcement unless otherwise noted.
12. Winners automatically grant the use of their name and likeness in the promotion of this and other Adoramapix contests.
13. Winners are responsible for applicable state or federal taxes as well as shipping and handling. If you live outside the US you are responsible for any taxes, custom duties and shipping in the event you win.
14. While the contests are generally open to residents of any country, Adoramapix is not liable for any customs duties or delays. Proof of shipment to the winner’s address shall end any obligation to deliver any prize under these rules. Residents outside of the USA can either claim prize with a U.S. mail address or can request a gift certificate 1. Sponsor: Adoramapix (the “Sponsor”).
15. Adoramapix is not responsible for issues regarding Internet access, Facebook downtime, bounced email or any other technical malfunction beyond its immediate control.
16. There may be only one prize winner per household every 60 days.
17. All Adoramapix contests and giveaways are subject to all federal, state, provincial, and local laws and void where prohibited. It is your responsibility to refrain from entry if our contests or giveaways are illegal in your jurisdiction. If you are declared a winner but contests and giveaways like these are illegal in your jurisdiction, your prize will be forfeited and given to a runner-up.
18. The photograph and or photo book, in its entirety, must be original material captured by the Contest entrant. By entering the Contest, entrant represents, acknowledges and warrants that the submitted image is an original work by contestant and does not infringe on the copyrights, trademarks, moral rights, rights of privacy/publicity or intellectual property rights of any person or entity, and that no other party has any right, title, claim or interest in the photograph.
19. Copyright: By entering the Contest, Photographer will retain all rights to photograph he/she submits. By entering photography contests, photographer hereby grants Adoramapix (sponsor) (1) a nonexclusive, unconditional, unrestricted, worldwide, irrevocable ,royalty-free license to reproduce, reformat, adapt, creative derivative works, distribute, transmit, display, make available and perform the photographs photographer submits to Adoramapix (sponsor) in and/or through any and all medium or media, now known or hereinafter developed or discovered, and (2) the right to use your name, city and state in promotions and other publications. Sponsors’ use of the submissions may include without limitation, advertising, promotion and marketing for this year and subsequent years. Authorized Parties will not be required to pay any additional consideration or seek any additional approval in connection with such use. Additionally, by entering, each entrant grants to Adoramapix the unrestricted right to use all statements made in connection with the Contest, and pictures or likenesses of Contest entrants, or choose not to do so, at their sole discretion. Authorized Parties will not be required to pay any additional consideration or seek any additional approval in connection with such use.
20. IN NO EVENT WILL ANY CONTEST ENTITY BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR LOSSES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF YOUR PARTICIPATION IN THE CONTEST, ANY PRIZES WON, YOUR ACCESS TO OR USE OF ANY OF SPONSOR’S WEBSITE OR THE FACEBOOK WEBSITE (INCLUDING SPONSOR’S FACEBOOK PAGE) OR THE THIRD-PARTY APPLICATION, OR THE ACCESSING, UPLOADING, DOWNLOADING AND/OR PRINTING OF ANY MATERIAL AVAILABLE ON SAID SITE. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, EVERYTHING ON THESE WEB SITES IS PROVIDED “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. SOME JURISDICTIONS MAY NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR EXCLUSIONS OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS SO SOME OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
21. By entering the Contest, you acknowledge that you have read, understand and will abide by these official rules. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these official rules, or the rights and obligations of you or Sponsor in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of New York, without regard to the conflict of laws principles. All dollar amounts referred to in these official rules are in U.S. dollars.
Ready? Set? Gift! It’s our 2nd annual 12 days of giving! Day 12 is a 20×20 beautiful and modern acrylic from AdoramaPix. It’s valued at $88. You can enter the contest 5 times each day. Leave a comment here, on our Facebook fan page, our G + page, our YouTube Channel or retweet our tweet from Twitter and you’re entered! Good Luck Everyone!
Ready? Set? Gift! It’s our 2nd annual 12 days of giving! Day 11 is the Elite Digital Package from PhotoBacks. It retails for $199.00 You can enter the contest 5 times each day. Leave a comment here, on our Facebook fan page, our G + page, our YouTube Channel or retweet our tweet from Twitter and you’re entered! Good Luck Everyone!
Ready? Set? Gift! It’s our 2nd annual 12 days of giving! Day 10 – is the Lens Flipper from Go Wing. It retails for $89.95 You can enter the contest 5 times each day. Leave a comment here, on our Facebook fan page, our G + page, our YouTube Channel or retweet our tweet from Twitter and you’re entered! Good Luck Everyone!