We have a special member to feature this week, it’s Maureen Petru of Maureen Petru Photography.
Maureen is based out of Pennsylvania and has a great story to tell and you have to read through this whole blog post to truly enjoy it. So grab some coffee, sit back and get ready to be enchanted. Maureen started as a photographer in 2010 on her 40th birthday! She began part-time as her main job was and still is being a mother at home with her two children.
Maureen says, “As I began my venture, I received a special gift from my Aunt. It was the first book put out by Awkward Family Photos. Little did she know at the time, I along with my brothers and a cousin, narrowly missed being the cover photo. Just two months before I started in business, my brother submitted a photo from our childhood to their website. We quickly rose in “popularity” and were inducted into the Hall Of Fame. You can see the photo HERE . I am the little blond on the far right as you are looking at the photo. We lived in Minnesota and were driving to Wyoming for a family reunion. As we crossed the state line between Minnesota and South Dakota – my mom ordered us all out of the car and lined us up in front of the state sign for a photo. If you need a bit of a belly laugh, you can read through some of the comments. I, thankfully, can laugh at myself – otherwise this would be pure torture for me! This photo ended up being used in a promotion by Virgin Airlines, and pops up occasionally when AFP has been featured on various news shows such as The Today Show. But the ultimate caveat recently came when we made print. We are now one of the featured greeting cards sold in stores that carry the Awkward Family Photo line. I can walk into a Target or Wal-Mart and see my 12-year-old-awkwardness in all its glory!
But if you thought that was enough for one family, you are sadly mistaken. AFP ran a contest this past summer for an awkward family photo vacation picture and guess what family entered? Oh yes, that would be my family. And guess who won that contest being declared the most awkward family in America last summer? Oh yes, that would be my family once again. We won with just under 10,000 votes. We were featured on radio shows, TV news and newspapers all over Minnesota. So we hit fame once again on Awkward Family Photos. If you have stopped crying over the first photo, you can bravely view the second one HERE. Will this one make a greeting card? No. Only because it is instead being used for a calendar. That’s right, meet yours truly, Miss July 2013!”
So with that out of the way, (thanks for sharing that story Maureen) I wanted to find out from Maureen where she gets her inspiration from. She answered, ” To answer what it is I love to shoot and what inspires me, I have to take you back a bit first. After less than a year in business, my husband took a new job and our family left Boston, MA and moved to Pittsburgh, PA. That type of move involves many changes and my focus was on getting my family settled. September rolled into October and then on to November and I had not really made a move to start up my business again. I used my downtime to read photography books and articles, and spend time thinking about what my draw to photography really was, and who I really was. Did I shoot during that time? Absolutely. Daily. I was shooting what has become my inspiration – my family. But it was on a different level than before. My technical skills had vastly improved during my time away, and I finally began to settle into myself as a photographer. It is ok that I do not own a closet full of props. It is ok that I do not do cartwheels for smiles. I appreciate those that do and there is a need for those that do, but it is just not me. I like to observe and grab that shot that connects me emotionally to my subject. And to me, my biggest challenge lies in getting others to feel that emotional connection as well. That and making sure an image I capture does not end up in Awkward Family Photos!”
I asked Maureen, if she could go back in time… what would she do differently? She replied, ” Trust what that little voice is telling you. When I was doing more of the posed photography in the beginning, I was so incredibly nervous every time I went out to a session. Yet at times, the nerves disappeared. When I was dropped back, observing and shooting – as I do these days with my family – I became relaxed. I now recognize that as being the first signs that posed photography was not for me. I am more closely in line with a lifestyle photographer, but yet that does not completely define me either. I am not in a box, really. And my vision for my business is a 180 from where it was at when I began. Be patient, take your time, study others, but come away with yourself.”
Maureen says she doesn’t have an all-time favorite image because she has such an emotional attachment to so many of her images. She says, “It is like you asking me who of my daughters I love the most. I fiercely love different things about both of them. I feel much the same about my photography.”
So we have to know, what are you lugging in your camera bag? “Are you ready to get all this down? A Canon 5D MarkII and a 50mm f/1.4 lens. That is it. I do own a 24-105mm f/4 lens, but it has not seen the light of day since I got the 50mm. I think that speaks to the change in my style as I have moved into more of the storytelling side of photography. I would like to add the 35mm f/1.4 among other lenses. I do have a photography wish list pinterest board titled “If I had a rich uncle…” But really, why did I narrow myself down to just an uncle?”
Maureen thank you for much for sharing your story with us. Your work is beautiful and your story is ridiculously wonderful. If you would like to see more of Maureen’s work you can go right HERE to her facebook page.
Don’t you ever want to know what’s in a professional’s photography bag? I know I am always curious. In this week’s Tuesday’s Tips, Julie Johnson of Vine Images, Inc., not only shows us what’s in her bag, but how she uses her equipment in certain situations.
RULES AND REGULATIONS
1. Sponsor: Adoramapix (the “Sponsor”).
3. Adoramapix will not verify receipt of entries. Incomplete entries are void. Adoramapix is not responsible for entries that are lost, late, misdirected, incomplete, incomprehensible, illegible, undeliverable or delayed. Facebook entries will be deemed to have been submitted by the authorized account holder of the Facebook account at the time of the entry.
4. Our contests are generally open to anyone who is at least 18 years of age and who does not reside in an area where such contests are void by law. In cases where the contest or giveaway is promoted on Facebook, you need a free Facebook account to be eligible. Persons who have had their Facebook account blocked by Adoramapix are not eligible.
5. Employees (or their immediate families) of Adoramapix, or any subsidiary are not eligible to win our contests or giveaways.
6. Unless otherwise noted, the termination date for eligibility is the final day at Midnight EST.
7. All prize information including prize value is listed with each contest announcement. In each contest or giveaway, we reserve the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value in the event that the original promised prize becomes unavailable. Some prizes may be awarded via gift certificate.
8. Adoramapix is not responsible for (1) cancellations, postponements, or delays; (2) Acts of God, war, terrorism, government regulation, disaster, fire, strikes, civil disorder, or other similar causes beyond the control of Adoramapix, their affiliated, parent, and subsidiary companies, advertising and promotional agencies and their immediate assigns, making it inadvisable, illegal, impossible, or impractical to continue the Contest or to perform under these Rules. Adoramapix makes no warranty, guarantee, or representation of any kind concerning any prize. Adoramapix reserves the right to modify, suspend, terminate or cancel the Contest, as appropriate, due to any other reason beyond the control of Adoramapix.
9. The prizes have no cash value. It may not be exchanged for cash.
10. Content Restrictions: You may not submit or post anything that is offensive or violates any third party’s rights. For example, your Contest Entry must not contain or reference any of the following:
• Names, identifying information or photos of any persons other than yourself (no friends or other family members)
• Nudity or lewd, vulgar, indecent or obscene images (as determined by Sponsor’s sole discretion);
• Material that violates or infringes another’s rights, including but not limited to privacy, publicity or intellectual property rights; ( we have obtained permission of all artists pinned on our board, you may repin any on our boards or uplaod your own)
• Material that is copyrighted, trademarked, protected by trade secrets or otherwise subject to a third party’s proprietary rights, including privacy and publicity rights, unless you are the owner of such rights or have permission from their rightful owner to post the material;
• Depiction of defamatory statements (including but not limited to words or symbols that are widely considered offensive to individuals of a certain race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or socioeconomic group);
• Third-party trademarks, names or logos; or
• Material that is unlawful, in violation of or contrary to the laws or regulations in any country, state or province where the Contest Entry is created.
Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, disqualify any Contest Entry that does not comply with these Content Restrictions or that Sponsor otherwise deems to be inappropriate in its sole discretion. In the event of disqualification, the Contest Entry will not be judged or considered for a prize.
11. The winner does not have to be present for the drawing unless otherwise noted.
12. Winners automatically grant the use of their name and likeness in the promotion of this and other Adoramapix contests.
13. Winners are responsible for applicable state or federal taxes.
14. While the contests are generally open to residents of any country, Adoramapix is not liable for any customs duties or delays. Proof of shipment to the winner’s address shall end any obligation to deliver any prize under these rules. Residents outside of the USA can either claim prize with a U.S. mail address or can request a gift certificate from Adorama of equal or lesser value to the Grand Prize.
15. Adoramapix is not responsible for issues regarding Internet access, Facebook downtime, bounced email or any other technical malfunction beyond its immediate control.
16. There may be only one prize winner per household every 60 days.
17. All Adoramapix contests and giveaways are subject to all federal, state, provincial, and local laws and void where prohibited. It is your responsibility to refrain from entry if our contests or giveaways are illegal in your jurisdiction. If you are declared a winner but contests and giveaways like these are illegal in your jurisdiction, your prize will be forfeited and given to a runner-up.
18. The photograph and or photo book, in its entirety, must be original material captured by the Contest entrant. By entering the Contest, entrant represents, acknowledges and warrants that the submitted image is an original work by contestant and does not infringe on the copyrights, trademarks, moral rights, rights of privacy/publicity or intellectual property rights of any person or entity, and that no other party has any right, title, claim or interest in the photograph.
19. By entering the Contest, all entrants grant an irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide non-exclusive license to Adoramapix, to reproduce, distribute, display and create derivative works of the entries (along with a name credit) in connection with the Contest and promotion of the Contest, in any media now or hereafter known, including, but not limited to: Display at a potential exhibition of winners; publication of a book featuring select entries in the Contest; Online highlighting entries or winners of the Contest. Entrants consent to the Sponsor doing or omitting to do any act that would otherwise infringe the entrant’s “moral rights” in their entries. Display or publication of any entry on an Authorized Party’s website does not indicate the entrant will be selected as a winner. Authorized Parties will not be required to pay any additional consideration or seek any additional approval in connection with such use. Additionally, by entering, each entrant grants to Adoramapix the unrestricted right to use all statements made in connection with the Contest, and pictures or likenesses of Contest entrants, or choose not to do so, at their sole discretion. Authorized Parties will not be required to pay any additional consideration or seek any additional approval in connection with such use.
20. IN NO EVENT WILL ANY CONTEST ENTITY BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR LOSSES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF YOUR PARTICIPATION IN THE CONTEST, ANY PRIZES WON, YOUR ACCESS TO OR USE OF ANY OF SPONSOR’S WEBSITE OR THE FACEBOOK WEBSITE (INCLUDING SPONSOR’S FACEBOOK PAGE) OR THE THIRD-PARTY APPLICATION, OR THE ACCESSING, UPLOADING, DOWNLOADING AND/OR PRINTING OF ANY MATERIAL AVAILABLE ON SAID SITE. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, EVERYTHING ON THESE WEB SITES IS PROVIDED “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. SOME JURISDICTIONS MAY NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR EXCLUSIONS OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS SO SOME OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
21. By entering the Contest, you acknowledge that you have read, understand and will abide by these official rules. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these official rules, or the rights and obligations of you or Sponsor in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of North Carolina, without regard to the conflict of laws principles. All dollar amounts referred to in these official rules are in U.S. dollars.
No, we are not starting a rock group but rather we have just added aluminyzed photos to our line up of products!
What does this mean? Well, it means your artwork will be infused right into the surface of a solid sheet of aluminum, resulting in bright vivid colors, a rich iridescent sheen, incredible depth of detail, and outstanding durability. It also means your artwork will shine like never before.. and you might just become addicted to the amazing quality. We offer two different surfaces and finishes. Currently, you are able to find all of the information HERE under the Canvas section on our website. You must be logged in and then click on the button “Create Canvas” – the metal prints will then show up. Since this is so new, and it will eventually have its own landing page in the next few days , I will walk you through the steps on how to order it in the meantime.
Step one – you must be logged into your account.
Step two – click on Create a Canvas Print.
Step three – click on Aluminyzed Prints.
Step four – click on your surface and finish.
Step 5 – upload your image.
Step 6 – crop your image.
Step 7 – choose your mounting.
A. Easel – This fold-out easel gives you the choice of mounting your print on a wall or standing it on a surface.
B. Pedestal - A clear, slotted acrylic base that holds your aluminum print upright at an ideal viewing angle. This base gives a modern elegance to the print without drawing attention away from your masterpiece
C. Wall Float - Our secure wall floats positions your aluminum print ½” from the surface of the wall you mount it on. This creates a striking visual separation that enhances the presentation of your photo.
That’s it .. enjoy your gorgeous metal print! Again, this is only temporary we were just excited to offer it to you and wanted to get it to you ASAP!